Saturday, April 4, 2009

cacophony

the last thing i remember seeing was the clock. then i think i saw the ceiling fan. i slept like a log.

i woke up in the morning. to my disbelief it was daybreak. but all i could see was darkness. it was as though there was a power cut. and it happened on a no moon day. or the sun had decided to slumber a while longer.

i woke up. blind.

the first thing i heard was my heartbeat. i had felt it race many times in the past. but i actually heard it now. it was as though i was on the threadmill for long.
then i heard my breathing. i heard it. the air going in and out of the nostrils. and the air meeting some resistance in my chest and my chest expanding. and the rub of my vest with the quilt.

and of course the fan was still running.

the volume control seemed to have been put on an unregulated maximum.. all controls!

i decided to walk to the bathroom. i heard my footsteps making a hard shallow sound on the cold floor below. i banged the suitcase on the way.. it was deafening. the door made a creaking noise. the sound of the latch was from a high note to a sudden blank space.

as i walked back to the sink, i heard the flush filling. drop by drop. i then opened the tap. it was like a thin stream falling into a small falls. i heard the coldness!

the birds in the background. a hooting dog at a distance. few hustled steps outside. 
yes, the solitary machine rumbling past.

i sat down. put the system on mute. mute all.

sounds. my mom calling me. affectionately. my dad telling me to watch out. caringly. my bro shouting for me. by my nick.

the gusty wind on the hill top. the flutter of my shirt. the sound of the breeze as it sneaked through the gap between my eyes and the spectacles. the tinkling sound of the earring of the lady behind me.

the rustle of the leaves. the sound of footsteps on a bed of dry leaves. footsteps!

the screeching brakes. and the sound of my knee banging the road. and people screaming.

many more.

i undid the mute all.

walked to the main door. removed the chain. sound of metal. note by note.

the sun had not gone into a longer slumber afterall. i felt the flashes of light. 
i opened my eyes. brightness. blinding brightness.

strangely the volume controls had gone a rung or two down automatically.

the sense of vision invariably outscreams the sense of hearing. but the very thought of the sounds i've heard brings goosebumps. in my brain!

yes. like the one right now. my mother's calling for me. 


1 comment: